It's funny how a year can rearrange an entire life without asking for permission.
Twelve months ago, I thought I knew exactly where my story was headed. I had plans that included people, places, and versions of myself that don't exist anymore. At the time, I thought losing them meant losing the future I'd imagined.
Now I know they were never the same thing.
This year taught me that life doesn't always replace what it takes. Sometimes it simply gives you something different to notice.
I found myself packing boxes I never expected to unpack. I drove roads that somehow felt both familiar and completely new. I returned to places that had been waiting for me long before I knew I'd need them.
Home became more than a location.
It became the slow realization that healing isn't about returning to who you were before everything changed. It's about learning to feel at home inside the person you've become afterward.
I read more books than I ever thought I would. Some gave me answers. Most simply gave me company. I met people who knew nothing about the version of me that existed a year ago, and there was something strangely freeing about introducing myself without carrying the weight of every chapter that came before.
I learned that grief is patient.
It doesn't disappear because the calendar insists it should. It softens quietly, almost unfairly, until one day you realize you smiled before remembering what used to hurt.
There wasn't one grand moment where everything became okay.
There were hundreds of tiny ones.
The first morning I woke up without immediately thinking about the past.
The first drive that felt peaceful instead of lonely.
The first sunset I admired simply because it was beautiful, not because I wished someone else were standing beside me to see it.
The first time I caught myself making plans that belonged entirely to me.
Looking back, this year wasn't defined by what ended.
It was defined by everything that quietly began while I was too busy grieving to notice.
A different home.
Different routines.
Different dreams.
A different version of me.
And maybe that's what growing up really is.
Not becoming someone entirely new.
Just slowly realizing you've been changing all along.
A year later, I don't think I'd ask for the old life back.
Not because it wasn't beautiful.
But because this one deserves to be lived, too.
No comments:
Post a Comment
Note: Only a member of this blog may post a comment.